A Celebration of Story and Song
HBMF is a unique event in Hawaii. We strive to celebrate and honor books, storytelling and music in way that is fun, accessible, and memorable for people of all ages, backgrounds and tastes. We strive to introduce Hawaii books and music to the world and to introduce Hawaii to new worlds of books and music. We honor our host culture, explore topics of community interest, and highlight the joy of life-long literacy for all of Hawaii’s people. We strive to present an event that creates joy and excitement about our culture all year round.
Our specific goals are to:
- To provide the community with a unique event of the highest quality that celebrates reading, books, storytelling, and music.
- To raise awareness of Hawai‘i’s multicultural heritage through its literary and musical arts.
- To increase understanding and appreciation of Hawai‘i’s unique host culture.
- To focus the best minds on issues of current concern to our community.
- To raise awareness of the serious nature of illiteracy in Hawaii
- To build a new national and international attraction for our community and our guests.
The Hawaii Book and Music Festival (HBMF) is a Federal tax-exempt 501(c) (3) non-profit corporation, managed by a Board of Directors.
HBMF Needs You!
It takes over a hundred Volunteers to make HBMF work. If you have been an HBMF Volunteer in the past, and would like to help again, please sign up below.
If you have friends or colleagues who you think would be interested, or if you're affiliated with an organization that is looking for volunteer opportunities, please get in touch with Mike Cannon, HBMF Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Bess Press, Pass-the-Projects
Principal, Marketing Management, Inc.
President, Read To Me International
VP & Manager,
Community Engagement and Events
Bank of Hawaii, Marketing Division
Hawaii State Librarian
Mark A. Blackburn
CEO, Rapa Corp.
COO & Partner, Nella Media Group, Inc.
Executive Director Emeritus,
Hawaii International Film Festival
Interim Director, University of Hawai‘i Press
Director, Kamehameha Publishing
Director, Corporate Financial Planning & Analysis
Servco Pacific, Inc.
Maryellen M. Markley, Ph. D.
CEO, First Impressions, Inc.
Executive Director, Hawaii Literacy
President & General Manager,
Hawaii Public Radio
Elizabeth "Annie" Valentin, MPH
Project Vision Hawaii
Chief Administrative Officer,
State Sen. Brickwood Galuteria
Makuakane Music Corp.
President & CEO, Visitor Video
Spark M. Matsunaga Institute for Peace & Conflict Resolution
Andrew P. Tujios
Director of Development,